August 2020 – British Hill Climb Championship and BHC Cup
NOTE: This statement was originally due for release on Friday 12th June at 10:00 and has been changed to reflect announcements made during that day.
BARC South West have decided, after much discussion, that we will not be running the British Hill Climb and BHC Cup event planned for the August bank holiday weekend.
Our final decision was made on Friday morning, prior to the announcement by the British Hill Climb Championship that they have cancelled their 2020 championship.
September 2020 – Club Meeting
BARC South West regret to announce that we are cancelling our September club meeting.
However, we are now working towards running just one meeting in 2020. Obviously, subject to the Motorsport UK’s guidelines and any government restrictions in force at the time.
This meeting will take place over the August bank holiday weekend vacated by the BHC event. We believe that this will give us time and enable us to organise the meeting.
August 2020 – Club Meeting
The August 2020 meeting will be a Club Event.
The precise format of the meeting in August has yet to be formally decided, although we expect it to be a one day event on Sunday 30th. As you will appreciate, we have a number of issues that will need to be addressed prior to running the meeting. These include safety issues, other logistical issues as well as the financial implications that come about running a motorsport event during these times.
Once we have formulated solutions to these issues, that are both workable and feasible, within the guidelines and time-frame, we will let you know.
More updates as soon as we have them.
BARC South West – Original Statement Date: Friday 12thJune at 10:00 – Edited
With a number of other hills and clubs making announcements about running events in July, August and further in the future, BARC South West would like to update you on our progress in respect of the August and September meetings.
We have been analysing the Motorsport UK’s requirements published last month. Our primary concern with regard to these regulations is safety. That’s not just of our competitors but all the people involved in our events.
We are working on the requirements, as well as reviewing how other clubs are implementing these requirements and how they are organising their meetings.
As many of you know, we have a limited paddock area. The current regulations would only allow us to accommodate approximately 70 cars and no spectators. This makes the August and September meetings financially difficult. We are hoping for changes to be made after the next government announcement at the end of June / early July to enable us to run these meetings as planned.
On top of this, we are unable to run meetings after the second week of September because of our lease of the hill.
In order to reduce our costs, we have withdrawn our online entry system for both of the August and September meetings. At this time we would prefer not to accept entries to avoid additional costs.
Once we have solutions to all of these requirements, as they stand today, to run an event we will allow entries to be taken online again.
More updates as soon as we have them.
As most of you will know, on the 20th May, Motorsport UK issued guidance to assist with the restart of motorsport in the UK. The guidance details a raft of recommendations for all elements of running an event. MSUK issued it’s PPE recommendations on 22nd May.
Here’s a link to the MotorsportUK Guidance in full
After considerable discussion and thought, BARC South West have decided to cancel the two July meetings that were due to be held on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th July 2020.
MSUK’s guidance and the current social distancing requirements would lead to entries being restricted to around 70 cars.
The club has a responsibility to all of the stake-holders involved in our meetings. That’s everyone from the drivers, riders, marshals, officals, the wider community, to our suppliers and sponsors, our cleaners and ultimately to BARC SW members.
There are many points in the guidance that could be overcome but not within the time-frame for organising the July meetings.
We will update you when we are able on our August and September meetings.
BARC South West Centre usually has it’s Annual General Meeting in May. Due to the current restrictions, we are postponing the meeting and rescheduling it for sometime in August. The date is yet to be confirmed.
We will confirm the date, location and time once we are able to.
South West centre members should check here, our Facebook page, our Twitter and Instagram feeds for details. We will make any appropriate announcements in those places in due course.
Anthony Record – Gurston Down Press Officer
As many of you will know, Motorsport UK has made a further statement in respect of Motorsport being held in the UK at this time. Part of that statement reads as follows:
“In light of recent developments in the COVID-19 crisis, and following the address to the nation by the Prime Minister on the evening of 23rd March, Motorsport UK has today extended its suspension of all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption for motorsport events until at least 30th June.
This move provides clear guidance to event organisers, venues, competitors, officials and volunteer marshals of the role that Motorsport UK must play in supporting the broader UK public health agenda.
In recent days the feedback from our members and the community was a need for increased clarity to allow them to plan appropriately and, should the need arise, put in place necessary contingency measures.”
Motorsport UK will continue to monitor the prevailing advice from the UK Government in respect of the COVID-19 international pandemic and will update the motorsport community accordingly.
As a consequence of this Gurston Down (BARC SW) have to fall in line with statements made by BARC.
1. April 18th and 19th are POSTPONED.
2. May 23rd and 24th are POSTPONED.
3. June 13th and 14th are POSTPONED.
4. ALL three Driver School Days are CANCELLED – The Drivers School will be in touch with everyone directly.
BARC SW will update you as soon as we have more information.